Year 5 – Year 8 Continuity
Teachers from different phases will work together in this Work Group, to improve communication between Key Stages 2 and 3. They will have the overall aim of improving continuity of learning by pupils in the four years between Years 5 and 8. Participants in this project will take an aspect of the mathematics curriculum or a pedagogical approach as the focus for their work and develop a consistent approach to it through discussion, joint lesson design and delivery, observation and the development of documentation to support continuity.
Who is this for?
This project is for KS3 secondary maths teachers and KS2 primary teachers in Kingston, Merton, Richmond, Sutton and Wandsworth. Each Work Group will iconsist of pairs of teachers, from linked, or neighbouring, primary and secondary schools, working together to develop a shared understanding of the teaching that gives the best chance of pupils progressing steadily in their mathematical understanding between Years 5 and 8.
What is involved?
Work Groups will meet several times during the year, with participants engaging in gap tasks at their own schools and at other schools between meetings. Meetings and gap tasks may include shared observation, lesson study, collaborative planning using shared models and representations, production of shared progression documents.
- Participant teachers will gain a deeper knowledge and understanding of progression in mathematical learning between Years 5 and 8, and, in parallel, a clearer understanding of the teaching approaches and pupil experiences that best serve that purpose, particularly in the ‘other’ school phase
- Participant teachers will further their experience and understanding of how consistent use of resources, representations and structures can be used to help pupils develop sound mathematical understanding
- Teachers will develop shared approaches to planning and delivery of the mathematics curriculum across KS2 and KS3
- Pupils will demonstrate improved confidence and engagement in maths at KS2 and KS3
Expectations of participants and their schools
- Attend all sessions run by the Work Group Lead
- Meet between sessions to plan and carry out gap tasks if required
- Share work, results of gap tasks and reflections with other members of the Work Group
Contribute to the national evaluation process, through a short online survey after the Work Group has finished.
Work Group Lead: Christina Wood
Location: King Charles Centre, King Charles Road, Surbiton, KT5 9AL
All sessions are run as twilights (16.00-18.15)
- Twilight 1: Wednesday 8th January 2020
- Twilight 2: Thursday 5th March 2020
- Twilight 3: Thursday 2nd April 2020
- Twilight 4: Wednesday 20th May 2020
Cohort 1 Information Sheet
Warlingham Village Primary School, Farleigh Road, Warlingham, CR6 9EJ
Work Group Lead: Andrew Whitehead
All sessions are run as twilights (15.45-17.30)
- Twilight 1: Thurs 13 February 2020
- Twilight 2: Thurs 26 March 2020
- Twilight 3: Thurs 30 April 2020
- Twilight 4: Thurs 11 June 2020
- Twilight 5: Tues 30 June 2020
Cohort 2 Information Sheet BOOK NOW places available
If you are interested in participating and you can commit to attend all the sessions, please contact London SW Maths Hub Administrator Lesley Dibbens by email to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or complete the online booking form.